*cue Boyz II Men’s “End of the Road”, break out the wine and popcorn like Olivia Pope, and don’t forget the tissues!*
President Obama’s leadership is coming to an end. (We really can’t do a third term?)
Were you tuned in last night? You should have!
In his final State of the Union address (insert tears and heartbreak here), President Barack Obama outlined and discussed his vision for the future of America. For less than an hour, America’s first African-American President reflected on his presidency’s many accomplishments, acknowledging that America has made significant progress, “but we need to make more.”
A yearly address, President Obama’s final #SOTU was the perfect representation of the Change We Can Believe In he promised us back in 2008. Though for many, last night’s speech was a lot to take in. From the memorable quotes, to the brief presence of shade (we live for these moments!) to the straight up talkin’ right (a colloquial expression for telling the absolute truth!)
If you missed it (because you were busy being the change in the World we need ;)), have no fear! We got you covered. Check out our favorite moments from last night’s final #SOTU.
Courtesy: InstagramHoney. They don’t make them like Michelle anymore! Let’s be real, before we could focus in on the speech, all eyes were on the First Lady. Sporting a bright, marigold wool crepe dress by Narciso Rodriguez, Michelle was indeed flawless!
By the way, the dress is sold out. Sorry, Ladies!
- “Peddling Fiction” is our new favorite saying!When reflecting on the many improvements of the country’s economy Bishop…excuse me, President* Obama added that anyone claiming the economy is in decline is “peddling fiction”. That’s a good one!“What is true, and the reason that a lot of Americans feel anxious, is that the economy has been changing in profound ways. Changes that started long before the great recession hit. Changes that have not let up. “
- The fight against Cancer is on!It’s true, the win for the fight against HIV/AIDS is within our reach. We’re almost there. However, unfortunately cancer still remains. Last night, President Obama announced his dedication to fighting cancer, respectfully placing Vice President Joe Biden in charge. Though Biden seemed surprised to learn that he would be in charge, he quickly accepted the responsibility, smiling and giving his President thumbs up.In May 2015, Vice President Biden lost his son to brain cancer.
- The recklessness of Wall Street.”Food stamp recipients did not cause the financial crisis. Recklessness on Wall Street did.”
Courtesy: ParhloSay it again!
- He’s #BoutThatLife when it comes to the safety of the American people.When discussing his views on ISIL, President Obama said: “When you go after Americans, we go after you. It may take time, but we have long memories, and our reach has no limit”.Adding:
“If you doubt America’s committment -or mine- to see that justice is done, ask Osama Bin Laden.”
In other words, don’t start no stuff, won’t be no stuff! Check, mate!
- He’s not here for any political foolishness or Donald Trump. (and neither should you!)”When politicians insult Muslims, when a mosque is vandalized, or a kid bullied, that doesn’t make us safer. That’s not telling it like it is. It’s just wrong. It diminishes us in the eyes of the world. It makes it harder to achieve our goals. And it betrays who we are as a country.”Tell the truth and shame the devil, Barack!